Clean windows change how you see the world – literally!
Window washing doesn’t have to be difficult or intimidating. With the right tools and tips, the process can be quick and simple and the payoff of having sunlight streaming into your home is worth the effort. Here are a few tips and tricks to help you with your window cleaning:
1. Choose a time of day that is cloudy and dry: If you clean your windows when the sun is beaming down, it can dry the cleaner onto your windows before you get a chance to wipe it off. If you can’t wait and want to clean them on a sunny day, start on the shady side of the house.
2. First remove the dirt and dust: Before you get started with the cleaning, remove any dirt and dust from the window frames using a vacuum with the proper attachment or a brush. Don’t forget the hinges, sills and tracks. This will prevent the dirt from becoming a muddy mess when you spray the cleaner. If the window screen is also looking particularly dirty, remove it and clean in warm, soapy water using a soft brush. Ensure that it is dried before putting it back in.
3. Pick the right cleaner and use it generously: Don’t hold back on that cleaner, especially if your windows are really dirty. If you don’t use enough, you risk leaving streaks. There are a variety of cleaners available to use, but you can also use a simple homemade vinegar cleaner – there are many DIY formulas available on the internet.
4. Choose a microfiber cloth: Some people like to use newspaper, some paper towel, but a microfiber cloth is your best choice. These cloths are washable, super absorbent and will leave your windows streak-free and shiny. They are also an environmentally conscious choice since they are reusable!
5. Clean inside/outside windows in different directions: When you are cleaning your windows, wipe one side of them horizontally and one side vertically. If you see any streaks that have formed, you will know whether the inside or the outside of the window needs a little extra attention!
Cleaning windows only needs to be done once or twice per year. Hopefully some of these tips will make it a little bit simpler and easier a task to complete. If your windows need more than just a cleaning and you have questions about replacement, please give GreenFox a call. We are happy to give you a free quote!